Are you tired all day?
Do you have important things to do, but instead, you only have enough energy to watch movies?
Or it’s hard to get shit done because you lack quality sleep?
Then learn in this article how to get more sleep, improve the quality of your sleep, and wake up earlier than you normally do, to achieve all your dreams.
Because if you are tired and lacking energy, you will never get the important things done in life! It’s time to get the quality sleep you deserve.
Let’s start with the first building block…
Do You Get Enough Sleep?
First things first, do you get enough sleep?
How many hours each night do you get?
Most people sleep by far not enough and don’t even know how it feels to be well rested, because they are sleep deprived all the time.
Track your sleep for a few days, write down how many hours you sleep each night, and how you feel after it.
I do this for myself and every time I don’t get enough sleep I see a big correlation to my unproductiveness.
For you, it might be different, and maybe you are one of the lucky ones who only need 5 hours a night, but I doubt it.
Chances are much higher that you are constantly sleep deprived.
So how much sleep do you get each night? Because if you are sleepy all day, you can’t be productive.
Improve Your Sleep Quality
Next, improve the quality of your sleep.
Find your perfect sleep routine.
Every person is different, that’s why there is no one size fits all solution.
Find your solution!
Here are a few things that are recommended by sleep specialists!
Better Sleep Recommendations:
- Always go to bed at the same time.
- Wind down at least an hour before you go to bed.
- Make your surroundings as quiet and dark as possible. Use noise canceling devices or sleep masks if needed.
- No screens in bed. No TV or mobile phone in the bedroom. Read a book instead.
- No coffee after 4 pm. Or any other drink that has similar effects as coffee.
- Finish your dinner at least 4 hours before you go to bed.
- Exercise daily.
- Use your bed only for sleep or sex.
- Record yourself sleeping or go into a sleep lab to find any medical problems that hinder you to have a good quality of sleep.
- Adjust the temperature of your bedroom. Try out a bedroom temperature between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal sleep.
- Buy a new bed, mattress, or pillow.
Try out what works for you.
For myself, going to bed at the same time, buying a new mattress and pillow, making the room as dark as possible, and no electronic devices at night worked wonders.
But for you, other combinations might work better.
But that’s not all…
Wake Up Early
If you want to change your life, you need time.
How are you going to get that time? By waking up earlier than you usually do.
If you usually wake up at 5 am, it’s 4 am now.
If you usually wake up at 9 am, it’s 8 am now.
You get the idea.
Then use this one hour to change your life. Use it to do what you know you have to do. This is your hour. This is where everything changes.
How To Wake Up Early?
The trick to wake up early is to go to bed early.
And let’s be honest: Do you do anything productive after 10 pm anyway?
If you do great, otherwise go to sleep.
Watching television two hours a day accumulates to one month a year. One month of only watching tv and nothing else. No sleep, no dinner, just watching television.
One month you could use to reinvest in yourself! Just imagine what you could achieve in one month?
Next time, you think about why your life doesn’t change, consider how much time you are wasting watching television, playing video games, or using social media?!
I know it’s not easy to change your habits. Especially if it involves waking up earlier but please give it a try.
Try it for a week or two. If you don’t like it, you can still say: “Waking up early is not for me, but at least I tried.“
See what works best for you. What do you have to lose?
Improve the quality of your sleep, get enough sleep, and try to wake up a little bit earlier every day!
- Improve the quality of your sleep. Pick one of the better sleep recommendations and keep a journal on how you feel each day.
- Go to bed earlier. An average adult needs 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night.
- So if you want to wake up at 5 am, set the alarm at 9 pm. Now you have one hour to wind down before going to bed at 10 am.
- Use the time you created to change your life. That way, you might achieve more till 10 am than most people do all day.
Don’t compromise on your sleep! It’s the best way to stay healthy and stay energized for the whole day!